Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lifting the Yoke of Oppression

So, I decided to do something today that I never thought I'd do. I left a Second Life group that I've been a long-time member of, that I loved dearly, blogged for, and offered up my land for free to (for a long time).

Why you ask?

Because for my own mental health, I can no longer live in the SL Closet. I was being asked to NEVER speak about my life, because MY LIFE is considered to be political. MY LIFE is considered to be a taboo subject. Because I'm gay.

You know what? That's fucking bigoted. So, I left that. And I de-friended that. And I'm moving on.

-Kira

p.s. I've removed myself as an Admin from the Group Blog, NOT deleted the blog. I've removed myself from the Group Flickr, NOT deleted the group flickr. I do not have any plans to Mute or Ban or any other such nonsense.

5 comments:

  1. Huggs, Kira. It is time for LGBT discrimination to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kisses ya Dont Worry Dear :) i will be here and i am proud ur out of the closet 0.0 and to be ur never more and nothing less becuase ur my Friend and nothign can change thta :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, you're life wasen't political. Someone who was uncomfortable hearing about it asked you politely to stop and then you were rude about it. :\

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'm majorly confused. I'm married to a woman off the grid (this is known) and I'm all but partnered to two men and one woman on the grid and this is also known.

    I don't talk about it generally in the Kitties because it's not relevant to a group dedicated to freebies, cheapies, fun hunts and Lucky Chair contraptions. But I don't feel that I can't bring up my life, my ideals--as they relate to freebies on the grid--either.

    How is any choice not to talk about being gay in a political sense, in a freebie group shoving you in the SL closet?

    Also? Mass irony here--I am likely not the only one planning on strolling through Second Pride and making freebie lists of Pride-related items to give to Serenity. And, my list or other lists, she'll likely put 'em out there. Because they're freebies...

    I just don't get this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That group was always open-chat. Everyone talked about different stuff. Just because someone is talking about an aspect of their life that might be a bit controversial doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else.

    Because of this, I've decided to leave the group as well. I'm with Kira, I've been in the group for a long time (longer than some people realize) and made lots of friends through it; friends that I will cherish for a long time to come. But all in all, it's just not what it used to be. It used to be like a family to me...but now...I dunno. It's just not the same. And I don't want to be a part of that anymore.

    I'm with Kira, she shouldn't have to keep quiet about parts of her life just because they're controversial, or political (and yes, I do somewhat see it that way, but there's nothing wrong with that...she's out there, fighting for her rights).

    *sigh* I don't know what all to think about this, really. But I just know that it was wrong what happened.

    ReplyDelete